My spouse and I are in the process of getting a divorce. We…

Customer Question
My spouse and I...

My spouse and I are in the process of getting a divorce. We have a renup in place that stipulates what is hers is hers, what is mine is mine. That being said, earlier this year, she withdrew over $300,000 from a retirement account to pay down her bills, and gave me $50,000 to pay off mine. She is now wanting that money back, or for me to at least pay the taxes on the money she gave me. In all honesty, I'm fine with paying the taxes on the money. But what are my legal obligations?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We own a house together. She got the loan with her VA loan, but we are both on the deed. She is suggesting that the money be deducted from my portion of the sale of the house. Which again, I'm fine with. However, I want to protect myself from being sued should the house not sell at a price that would cover the taxes from my portion of the sale. Hope that makes sense.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/25/2018
Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply as I am an actual practicing attorney, not an employee of JustAnswer.

.

Did you ask for the money?

.

Was there an agreement for you to repay her?

.

.

thanks

no I did not ask for the money, and there was not agreement (written or verbal) regarding repayment

Ok, then this would be considered a gift and you would not be under any legal obligation to repay it.. There has to be an actual agreement to repay and she couldn't unilaterally impose one if you never came to that agreement..

.

.

thanks

As a gift, do I need to claim it on my taxes when I filenext year

No, there are no taxable consequences to the recipient of a gift..

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much