It's it legal in California to record conversation with

Customer Question
It's it legal in...

It's it legal in California to record conversation with employer

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

With a manager

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

At will hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/25/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

When it comes to recording conversations, California has a two party consent law.

That means that both parties need to consent to the conversation being recorded.

It's actually a criminal offense to record the conversation without the consent of both parties.

The criminal charge carries some heavy fines, as well as the possibility of jail time.

See:

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=PEN&sectionNum=632

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

If I suspect my company will try to fire me under false charges and can I tell them I would like assist meaning and attorney present
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Yes, you can request to set up a meeting and have the accompaniment and representation of a lawyer.

You can contact the California State Bar for a referral to an employment lawyer in your area.

The phone number is:

66-44-CA-LAW(###) ###-####

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this. I'm here to help.

If not, don't forget to rate so I can be credited for my time and help with your question, thank you!

No
If employer Dosent consent to conversation how can get them on false charges should I take notes
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

If you're not able to to schedule a meeting where you can have a lawyer present, then you can always consult with a lawyer afterwards to determine whether you have grounds for a wrongful termination suit.

Yes, taking notes is legally permissible.

I hope that helps! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate, thank you!

Before I go in to work am I allowed to ask them if I will be working or if it's for another meeting
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Yes you can inquire, but how much they disclose in advance will up to your employer.

I hope that helps clarify! Let me know if you still have any questions about this.

Don't forget to rate, thank you!

Also what should I do If I suspect employer is trying to look for grounds to fire me
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

If you feel that you are the victim of harassment, or if you end up the victim of a wrongful termination - then you may want to consider meeting with an employment lawyer about the potential of filing a civil lawsuit.

You can also report employment discrimination to the EEOC.

See:

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm

I hope that helps!

Don't forget to rate, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!