In Arizona can a mechanic hold your car if you refuse to…

Customer Question
In Arizona can a...

In Arizona can a mechanic hold your car if you refuse to pay

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to an AZ lawyer about this?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

My friend's car is at a mechanic shop and she thinks the mechanic is overcharging her

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just wanting to know if she can get her car legally without paying

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/25/2018
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago
Nisha Jones

Good morning, I am an attorney expert with the JustAnswer website, and former Prosecutor for the State Attorney's Office. I have a near 100% customer satisfaction rate, and I'll be answering your questions today. JustAnswer provides general legal information only and does not constitute legal advice. Please allow me just a few minutes to review your question, thank you!

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's situation.

Was she given a written estimate at the time she dropped her car off?

I don't think so
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Was she notified in advance, even verbally, of what the cost of repairs would be?

I just want to know if he can keep her from getting her car
Does she have the right to take her car
Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

This is more of a civil matter than a criminal matter.

If she has the keys and the ability to get her car from the premises, then yes she can do so, and the mechanic would then have to file a claim in small claims court to recover the money for the repairs.

Your friend would also have the ability to respond and dispute the charges.

This is a matter that the police are usually very hesitant to get involved with, as again it is a civil matter.

Your friend can still nonetheless contact the local police and inquire whether they would be willing to assist her in getting her vehicle returned.

If she had a written estimate that she agreed to in advance, then this would prove more difficult.

She could potentially be faced with a theft of services allegation if she agreed to the charges in advance, and then refused to pay and removed the vehicle from the premises. The theft of services is a criminal offense.

Alot depends on whether these were charges she agreed to in advance or not.

I hope that helps!

Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me - I'll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Please remember that any information shared over this site is for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should meet with and consult a local attorney for representation in this matter.

Lawyer: Nisha Jones,
 replied 2 months ago

Hi! Just checking in to see if you have any more questions? I hope I was able to address all of your concerns. Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thanks!