I had divorce case settled yesterday. I feel that my lawyer…

Customer Question
Hi , I had...

Hi , I had divorce case settled yesterday. I feel that my lawyer and plaintiff lawyer made a deal because they had the settlement done and ready ,

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

New Jersey I answered you pearl , I am still waiting to send me to the page to pay !!!

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Non

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Can case reopen

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/25/2018
Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 2 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Why did you settle if you did not agree with what was proposed? I know you said they had a deal and they may have spoken but you had to agree and approve of this?

My lawyer said that since we made offer on May 1 was refused but accepted on May 22 , he went to Pre conference with the lawyer and came out saying ( judge said since there is offer was made , and nothing changes if I do not agree he will give 30 days to think again , then he might enforce the settlement plus I have to pay other lawyer fees ? Is any way to find out what the judge say in Pre conference ? I feel the 2 lawyer made that deal ?

If you did not voluntarily settle and agree to this and were forced, you can file a motion to vacate the settlement. The Judge should not have forced you and unless the offer was accepted previously, you could have withdrawn it and gone to trial and let the Judge decide. Without a court reporter present or the hearing recorded, there is no real way to find out unless the attorneys were deposed or needed to testify about it but the situation does seem odd, that you would be forced to settle if you did not want to nor thought it was in your best interest

Who should file motion to vacat the settlement ( my lovely lawyer)

Ideally, Yes but of course there is an issue because they represented you and agreed to this so you need to speak with them today and advise them of the issue and concern and your objection to this. If they refuse, you need to retain new counsel to do this and you need to act quickly and in a timely manner.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!