I am going through a divorce. And have questions about how…

I am going through...

I am going through a divorce. And have questions about how to get existing loans in individual names vs both.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No but once I file and the divorce is final and says which loans are mine and which are his. What do we do

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

5/24/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. As you are already aware, part of the divorce process is dividing both assets and debts. Where a debt will be assumed by one spouse, it is common to require that spouse to refinance the loan and/or get the lender to release the other spouse (the less common scenario as lenders are not generally willing simply to remove one possible person from whom to collect any outstanding monies owed). Especially where one spouse may keep the house and any mortgage, looking into refinancing options now can be helpful so that spouse knows (1) if on his or her own refinancing is an option; and (2) that refinancing is available on reasonable terms. Often if refinancing is not obtained or cannot be obtained, such an asset would then have to be sold with any equity or debt remaining split between the parties. With other types of debts - car loans, credit cards, etc. - typically a new loan is obtained by the spouse taking that debt and the loan proceeds are used to payoff the debt that exists in both names. Speaking with your bank, current lenders, etc. now you should be able to identify options based on your individual circumstances (your own income) to begin the assessment what choices you (and your spouse) may have to divide assets/debts.

I hope this information helps. If you need additional assistance, feel free to reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy