I moved out of a rental paid 1800 deposit I received half…

I moved out of a...
I moved out of a rental paid 1800 deposit I received half back. The landlord kept half stated there was damage in the ceiling from the washer which was provided by him and the contractor he hired said most likely water damage came from the washer. I never saw the washer leak never used it the way in any way it wasn’t supposed to be used. Never i looked it or moved it. Also the front glass door after we moved out the house was being shown to sell when I turned on the keys I had forgotten the other key so I went to drop it off at the house. There had been a wind storm the last couple days. One of the people that had gone into the house locked the glasss door so it wouldn’t shut and it had repeatedly been blowing open and shut causing it to get bent. I immediately notified the property manager since we had not had our check and but this was not done by us I didn’t want to be held liable. Now he charged us over 400 to repair the ceiling for water damage that could have come from the washer and over 400 for the front door. I am disputing this but want to know the best way to word it.
5/24/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a letter that puts the landlord on notice that their actions regarding the security deposit is unlawful (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. This doc should have a template set up so you don't have to worry so much about how to word it; however, you may want to just consider stating that the washer never leaked, you never had to request a repair of any leaks, and any leaks now had to have happened after you left the premises so they should return the deposit.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

What about the door having realtors come in and out how can I be liable for them not closing the door and damging it
Damaging

That's a great question. This is something you should explain as well. You could say something along the lines of, "The landlord is responsible for the conduct of its agents, including any realtors. If they have done something to injure the property, the liability doesn't transfer to the tenant and it doesn't create legal authority for the landlord to withhold a deposit as a result."

How else can I help today?

Thank you

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

can you read over this quick?
May 28, 18
Macdoc Property Management LLC*****, Suite E
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
Re: Deposit for 11 Captain Johns Cove, Stafford, VA 22554
Dear Sir or Ma’am,
On March 5th Patrick Schofell who was the last to reside in the house left the premises, as I moved out in December. Keys were turned in on March 15th and rent was paid through the end of March 2018. Thereafter, on April 20, 2018, I received an itemized list of deductions you claim you are withholding from my security deposit. Included on your list is a $425.00 deduction for Replacing the hardware on the front door and a $406.79 deduction for repair and repaint ceiling in kitchen.
I moved into the house in August 2015. I rented your property for 2.5years; during that time, the washer that was provided by the landlord, never made any indication of leaking. During my time at the residence the washer was not moved, disconnected or used for any other purpose than its Manufacture label. I never had to request repairs for any leaks or noticed any damage to the ceiling in the kitchen as if there was I would have immediately reported it to Macdoc Properties On the move out inspection dated March 19th, 2018 there are no indications of damage or pictures of said damage.. As such, the cost of repainting and repair is your responsibility. I demand the return of my 406.79 you have improperly deducted from my deposit for this purpose.
On March 15, 2018 I stopped by the house to drop off the garage remote and last key. I found the front glass door blowing open and shut. I immediately notified Maintenance Coordinator <*****@******.***>
MacDoc in which I received a prompt response back stating that it would be sent to the property Manager. In my email includes a picture of the door locked open and statement about the door being bent. The door worked perfectly fine upon leaving March 5th open, shut, locking with no issues until I found it on that day. This clearly was not by fault of Patrick or myself and only could have been by one of the many realtors going in and out of the house. The landlord is responsible for the conduct of its agents, including any realtors. If they have done something to injure the property, the liability doesn’t transfer to the tenant and it doesn’t create legal authority for the landlord to withhold security deposit as a result I demand return of my 425.00 you have improperly deducted from my security deposit for this purpose.Best Regards,
Michelle Schofell

Hello. Revisions in BOLD

On March 5th, Patrick Schofell, who was the last to reside in the house left the premises, as I moved out in December. Keys were turned in on March 15th and rent was paid through the end of March 2018. Thereafter, on April 20, 2018, I received an itemized list of deductions you claim you are withholding from my security deposit. Included on your list is a $425.00 deduction for Replacing the hardware on the front door and a $406.79 deduction for repair and repaint ceiling in kitchen.
I moved into the house in August 2015. I rented your property for 2.5years; during that time, the washer that, provided by the landlord, never leaked. During my time at the residence, the washer was not moved, disconnected or used for any other purpose than its manufacturer label. I never had to request repairs for any leaks or noticed any damage to the ceiling in the kitchen as if there was I would have immediately reported it to Macdoc Properties On the move out inspection dated March 19th, 2018 there are no indications of damage or pictures of said damage. As such, the cost of repainting and repair is your responsibility; not mine. I demand the return of my $406.79 you have improperly deducted from my deposit for this purpose.
MacDoc in which I received a prompt response back stating that it would be sent to the property Manager. In my email includes a picture of the door locked open and statement about the door being bent. The door worked perfectly fine upon leaving March 5th open, shut, locking with no issues until I found it on that day. This clearly was not by fault of Patrick or myself and only could have been by one of the many realtors going in and out of the house. The landlord is responsible for the conduct of its agents, including any realtors. If they have done something to injure the property, the liability doesn’t transfer to the tenant and it doesn’t create legal authority for the landlord to withhold security deposit as a result I demand return of my $425.00 you have improperly deducted from my security deposit for this purpose.

Thank you

You bet!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer