Lucy - and I'm afraid I've got myself in a bit of a legal…

Dear Ms. Lucy - My...
Dear Ms. Lucy - My name is ***** ***** and I'm afraid I've got myself in a bit of a legal bind. Since you answered my first question to my complete satisfaction, I trust that you are my best source for further review; ergo, the initial problem has evolved.
So, here goes - I've taken on the role of executor for a friend's small estate in the State of Virginia. Under the best of circumstances this can be a rather daunting task, so I entered into it with much reservation. Without listing here all the sordid details of what has transpired since, let it suffice to say that, despite all my ernest attempts to do the right thing for all parties concerned, the job has been made nearly impossible to complete, due to a total lack of co-operation from the deceased family. So, now I'm totally frustrated and much offended by some of the things said about my character and personal motivation for undertaking this task.
Is there a legal means for me to quit this and let the family take on the settlement of this man's estate? Thank-you. Ed Gray
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/24/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

Hi Edward,

Yes, you can resign as administrator. There are a couple of different procedures that could apply. Have you already been qualified by the clerk or a judge?

No. And currently the family has prevented me from doing so.

That's too bad, but it actually makes things easier on you. Once you're approved, you have to file a Petition. Since you haven't been approved yet, you can fill out a Waiver of Qualification form and file it with the Clerk of the Probate Court.

http://www.courts.state.va.us/forms/circuit/cc1608.pdf

Please rate my service positively, as this is the only way that I get paid for the time spent answering your questions. Thank you.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Not at this time.