Have a situation, just wanted to understand my rights.

Customer Question
Have a situation, just...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Situation is that I am currently renting an apartment with two roommates. Our lease is signed until October 1. My roommates want to move and relocate July 1st (3 months prior to lease expiration); however, I actually want to stay and can pay the rent. My boyfriend will also be moving in and we have the intent on continuing the lease and renewing again in October. Would there be any legal issues or concerns with our landlord allowing this? I guess I'm just curious how this could be view; a lease break? Change of responsible parties with continuation of existing terms? etc...

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/24/2018
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 2 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Kindly note that I just came across your post. I do not have control over the question list or the promises made to you by the site as to the response time. I am just a site user just like you. Nonetheless, I apologize for the delay in response to your post.

Kindly give me a few minutes to prepare my response.

Thank you for your patience.

Your Questions:

Situation is that I am currently renting an apartment with two roommates. Our lease is signed until October 1. My roommates want to move and relocate July 1st (3 months prior to lease expiration); however, I actually want to stay and can pay the rent. My boyfriend will also be moving in and we have the intent on continuing the lease and renewing again in October. Would there be any legal issues or concerns with our landlord allowing this?

Response 1: No, so long as your boyfriend passes background check.

I guess I'm just curious how this could be view; a lease break?

Response 2: Not a lease breach since you are going to pay for the lease until it is renewed.

Change of responsible parties with continuation of existing terms? etc...

Response 3: A new lease after your old lease expires. There is no lease breach since you are still going to pay the full rent.

Best wishes,

A 5-star positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating. However, that is how I get paid for answering questions on this site.

Thank you for your cooperation.