Our lawyer has not returned our calls in over two weeks. we…

Customer Question
Our lawyer has not...

Our lawyer has not returned our calls in over two weeks. we have settle in a lawsuit and he has not presented us with a bill. We don't trust him. Why is he not responding to us . Is this legal . We are concerned that he may be coming up with a improper bill. How will we know

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

North Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have settle the case with the insurance company and the insurance company is to cut a check in seventeen days. It has been 15 days on Friday. The amount we a supposed to get are his fee of 29% of the top and then 1/2 the medical bills and he said he also has filling fees which he never mentioned before

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We asked our layer what are the medical bills and what are his filling fees 2 days after the settlement and he does not respond to our calls

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/24/2018
Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney
When does the matter need to be settled?
on may 31 the money is supposed to be Availabe to us minus his 29% and 1/2 the medical bills

Are you online with me?

Lawyer: LegalPro54, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
LegalPro54
LegalPro54, Lawyer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question.

The insurance company said they would cut a check in 17 days and it has only been 15 days, so I would not be concerned at this point. Plus you have to take into account 3-5 days for mailing, then the attorney has to deposit the check in their client trust account and wait for the check to clear. That can easily take another full week.

It is standard for an attorney to be reimbursed for the costs they advance on your case, as otherwise they are making less than their fee. Cost advancement is a courtesy to the client and usually done at zero interest.

I would try to hang tight for a few more days and followup with your attorney to request an exact breakdown of the settlement money.