My son in jail now. he is 22 and has autism. undercover

My son in jail...

My son in jail now. he is 22 and has autism. undercover police set him up. they talked to him on internet, pretending its 13 year girl. they hooked him there and put in jail. iS this legal to do it? He is 15 in his brain and he is not agressive, never hurt anybody.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

He has public defender. he has bail 200.000. next court June 13

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I JUst think he should be in hospital now, not in jail

5/24/2018
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

Good evening,

It is indeed legal for police to lie to people to trick them. They do it all the time, and courts have found it permissible. His attorney may be able to argue your son's diminished capacity and lack of understanding as a mitigating factor, but what the police did is within the law and not grounds for dismissal.

RobertJDFL, Attorney
if they did not find anything else from his computer or evidence from other sources that je really did something like with minor, he can go to prison just for that meeting that was sat up?
Eric Y., Esq.
Phone call session started

Potentially, yes. I, of course, don't have the advantage of seeing any evidence from a prosecutor (something his attorney will get) but what typically happens in this cases is that a person has been communicating online with someone (usually in a chat room) with someone that they think is a minor and in fact happens to be a police officer undercover. A meeting wouldn't be arranged right away, normally. Usually, there is a lot of back and forth talk to make sure that the defendant understands that they are in fact a minor, they are looking for sex with an adult, etc...basically trying to help a prosecutor build a case but at the same time, giving an individual every opportunity to say "Uh no, this isn't what I was looking for, I didn't realize you weren't of legal age, whatever." Once it's clear that the defendant wants to meet, then they'll propose to meet them somewhere which is where the person gets arrested.

Thank you!
You’re very welcome. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.