Our CA non-profit has developed a volunteer policy with

Our CA non-profit has...

Our CA non-profit has developed a volunteer policy with standards of conduct and practice for volunteers to sign before performing services for us. Do we need to have this document reviewed by a lawyer before implementing?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a CA lawyer about this?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have written the document but have not had it reviewed by any legal counsel yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are a faith based organization and also have a statement of faith in the volunteer policy.

5/23/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is no; you don't need a lawyer to review it before implementing. The only thing you need to be certain of is that it doesn't discriminate against people on the basis of some protected class like race or ethnicity or encourage illegal conduct. Otherwise, I recommend codes of conduct so you can know that everyone is on the same page.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

What about this one example. This is the one principle we may have legal questions on in CA.
"4. We believe that the Bible provides moral principles, including but not limited to God’s ideal of monogamous heterosexual marriage. These moral principles are, in essence, descriptions of how life “works” such that they do not arbitrarily dictate, but graciously inform, His children. As such they should be upheld and encouraged. We accept clients of any sexual orientation to all services."
The above is my last question.

That's not a problem. Churches across the country can maintain their religious belief regarding sexual orientation, but you aren't required to actively recruit gay volunteers, but can't keep people out because they're gay. I think what you put is fine to practically attract those who share your beliefs, but without being discriminatory.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Thank you very much. Appreciate your help.

You bet!