Child Support: are there limits to freezing my bank

Child Support: are there...

Child Support: are there limits to freezing my bank account(s) that support me - SSI included?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

None, this just happened yesterday. Reached out to legal services and they state my case is not "ripe."

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Currently in CO, but the case against me was in TX.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just want to know my options. I can't feed myself with my money tied up.

5/23/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Is there a judgment?

I'm not sure of the full details - I'm inquiring for my father. This is an action in result of non-payment for child support, I believe. I'm just inquiring because I was not aware that freezing all of his accounts was justly considering he needs to be able to support himself.

without a judgment it cannot be levied upon.

In all events, assets that are ssi or public benefits are generally exempt from creditors.

INFOLAWYER, Attorney