We are a privately owned company located in Pennsylvania…

Good Morning , We are a...
Good Morning ,
We are a privately owned company located in Pennsylvania with less than 100 employees. I have a question regarding the Memorial Day Holiday or any legal holiday for that matter. We pay for 6 Holidays per year: Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day. If the holiday falls on a Saturday the employees get that Friday before off, and if the Holiday falls on a Sunday, they get the Monday after off.
So that you understand my question I need to tell you that some of our employees work Monday through Friday and others work Tuesday through Saturday.
For this Holiday , Memorial Day, a few of our employees posed a question to me. Two employees who work Tuesday thru Saturday asked if they could be paid for the holiday on Monday but take Tuesday as their day off because they would normally work Monday.
I am telling them no- that because they are being paid for Monday as a paid Holiday ( whether it is their regular day off or not) they must work Tuesday. I explained they did not have to work on Saturday if they did not want to make it a 6 day paid week and stated they could work Tuesday thru Friday for a 5 day paid week. I also stated it is their prerogative to work as to if they wish to work Saturday or not.
I just want to ask you to be sure this is legal?
thank you !!!!
5/23/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Please take the time you need to review

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Thanks so much for your patience. The only requires that employers pay the employees for all days work or for all hours promised to them, such as vacation time or holiday time that is paid. If you are paying your employees, the days they take off are irrelevant because you're in compliance with the law. In your case, if you would like to give the employees Sat. off instead of Tues, that is legal. You don't have to do that at all though. Normally, those employees aren't paid for Monday since they do not work that day, so if they are paid, they're being paid consistent with your policies which makes it legal.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
No other questions.....thank you so much for your answer. I just wanted to be sure . Have a super great day!!!!!

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!