I'm living in Las Vegas. I specially ordered $21,000 kitchen…

Hi, my name is*****'m...

Hi, my name is*****'m living in Las Vegas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a LA lawyer about this?

I specially ordered $21,000 kitchen cabinets for my house. I Paid $10,000 deposit. Received merchandise last week. The cabinets have many issues including interior quality, damaged cabinets, etc. I wanted to return merchandise but contractor refused, stating they will repair them and will take care of the issues, which it would not. Contract is trying to put mechanic lien on my house. I'll try to file a complaint at small claim court for the $10,000 loss. What can I do to stop the mechanic lien on my house? Thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Talked to the seller (contractor) and they inspected the cabinets. They realized the cabinets have issues but insisted they will replace some and repair some. they use crooked plywood to build the cabinet, which can be seen. it seems they do not have basic Quality Control inspection before releasing the product. I don't trust them for replacement or repair. It supposes high end quality custom made cabinets, actual is nothing but high price. We want to return and get full refund we had already paid ($10,000). They threat us to put lien on our house. So far, we have collected document and prepare small claim court filing. However, we want to know if the seller do file the lien on our house, what we should do? Thanks.

5/20/2018
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. First, don't worry about the threat of any lien. If the contractor were to place a lien, he would not be able to do anything with it unless he filed a suit and prevailed in that suit. Given your facts, he would not prevail, and the court would simply order the lien released. And, if the contractor doesn't timely pursue the suit, the lien will lapse automatically. It's the contractor who is in default here and you are the one with the recourse. What you want to do is raise the stakes on him so that he knows that not complying with your demands is going to cost far more in the end than simply paying you now. First, get an estimate from another contractor of the cost to properly remediate the job. Then, send your existing contractor a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history, terminating the contract due to his default, and demand that he refund all your money. Inform him that if he does not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit against him for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that if forced to file suit, you will be filing this claim not only as a breach of contract case, but also as gross negligence, fraud, and deceptive trade practice causes of action, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Even if you have to file the suit, that's likely all you will need do. In my experience, he will settle this without a hearing rather than risk punitive damages and the judgments being on his record.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thank you Richard, your help is highly appreciated. If I have more questions later, how do I ask you directly.

You're very welcome. It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, my bookmark is: www.justanswer.com/law/expert-legalbeacon/ . Or, simply request “Richard only” in the first line of your question.

Richard, Attorney

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time!

Hi Richard, My name is ***** ***** I'm living in Las Vegas. Two weeks ago you have answered my question regarding kitchen cabinet that I purchased. Now I need further advice and just found out you are lincesed in Texas. Any referrals you have in Las Vegas to me? Thanks.

Hi there. Under my terms of service with JustAnswer, I'm not allowed to make a specific recommendation, but I can give you direction. You would want to either contact the state bar association or your nearest law school for a referral. I prefer the latter because they take great pride in their graduates and will take a more personal interest in making sure your referral is a good one because it will be a reflection of the school. But, this is not a complicated case so you would only need a 1-2 year lawyer rather than a more experienced lawyer with the higher billing rate that comes with that experience.