I have worked for the same company for 27 years. I have a…

Hello - I have...

Hello - I have worked for the same company for 27 years. I have a great work ethic and good performance reviews. For approximately the past 6 months something has changed and I am being set up to fail .. pushed out. My manager has set up an appointment with Human Resources on Monday. I do not know exactly the reason why however, I am confident that my manager is playing games attempting to set me up to fail. I need help very much at this time. My request is urgent.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

My manager has set up an appointment with HR on Monday. I have not spoken with a Lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I need assistance quickly thank you

5/19/2018
legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this after such a long time with the company.

Unfortunately most employment relationships can be terminated at will, by either party, for any reason so long as it is not an illegal reason (ie discrimination, retaliation for whistle blowing).

Now if there is a contract, whether oral, implied or written, then that is a different story and the employee may be entitled to proper notice/procedures (for example a certain number of warnings if the supervisor is dissatisfied).

But if there is no such contract then the employment relationship can be terminated for any reason so long as not illegal.

Hopefully the manager's supervisors are aware of one's work ethic/performance and will dismiss any unfounded allegations particularly if the manager is new.

Thank you. I am very scared. I am a compliant, hard working dedicated worker. I have never faced this situation before and have been somewhat in denial about what has been happening. I should have taken action
reading your response now

If you provide me your state I will look and see if I can find any exceptions.

The reason for termination are illegal
I have not been terminated yet
I want to know how to understand my rights and what I can do to protect myself
I am employed in the state of Nebraska

So this involves discrimination or whistleblowing?

retaliation
I am being bullied

Retaliation is addressed here on page 28:

http://www.neoc.ne.gov/harrassment/docs/HarassmentPresentationManagers.pdf

Only certain retaliation is prohibited and that gives examples.

a complaint can be filed here:

http://www.neoc.ne.gov/complaint/complaint.html

Unfortunately there are no state laws that I could locate that prohibit bullying; for example workplace harassment is defined in a limited manner- for example harassment based on one's status in a protected class (ie sexual harassment)

OK ... thank you

You are welcome;

I wish I had better news.
You may wish to consult with an employment attorney and have him/her accompany you to the meeting so the attorney can advise as to how best to proceed.

legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Thank you