I want to write about my employer about the retaliation I…

Customer Question
I want to write...

I want to write about my employer about the retaliation I faced after filing a complaint with HR, how my new manager was also setting me up for failure. I received humiliating comments, personal remarks and the manager tool me to a room attacked verbally and told lies. It went on for 6 months until I wrote an email to the CEO of the company expressing my desire to talk to her. I was fired the next day. My employer gave me a compensation salary of 4 weeks and wants me to sign an agreement that I will not do anything that will defame the employer. If If do NOT sign this agreement. Am I sage to write online? I want to write online my story of horror with this employer. If I write online what are the things I can do to protect myself

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you discussed this retaliation issue with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

I am talking to a lwyer about retialiation. But, after some time I want to write a blog about the company and how they treat their engineers. and the hostility and harassment that an engineer has to suffer. My question is how can I protect myself from a defamation law suite. if I write about this on line

Lawyer's Assistant: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?

Yes I am at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just want to know what are the risks about writing about this online and how can a lawyer help me.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Legal
5/18/2018
Lawyer: WALLSTREETFIGHTER, Attorney replied 3 months ago
WALLSTREETFIGHTER

This is an unfortunate situation ,

If you sign the severance and release agreement, the employer can sue you for disparaging the employer,

so you need to read the release agreement carefully, if you write a blog and

discuss in any negative way the employer, the employer may sue you for defamation and can sue you

for a breach of contract if you sign the release

What you can do is advise them that the severance amount is not enough, and

that you will be creating a blog online stating your experience with them, and if

they do not want you to do this, ask them for 20 weeks severance,

What if I do not sign the release agreement document. Will that protect me from the employer filing a lawsuite?
If I do not sign the release agreement then what are the consequences of me writing online about the employer? Everything that I write will be what I have reported to the HR already. Don't people have freedom of speech ?

The only legal issue that could arise is a possible defamation lawsuit, which the employer can bring, if

you make false statements against them

You have to be careful, in that everything you state has to be your opinion, and your personal

experience, and can be backed up by evidence,

None of the statements will be false. But, how can that be verified if they are false or not? Because only the employer has access to the emails and other document. I am no longer employed
hence I cannot access my email. Can a lawyer help me in case they file a law suite ?

Yes, if you are sued, you would have access to all company email and files,

Here are examples of what Courts have said are "Opinion" (non-verifiable facts):

• Posting that the CEO does what she pleases with the bank she runs; that the CEO's son (a bank executive) is a "lazy fat ass", that "this is a piss poor Bank" and a "problem bank" that closed and left customers "high and dry";
  • Referring to a company's executives as "boobs, losers, and crooks";
  • Accusing someone of suckering people into a "scam" and "pump and dump" scheme;
  • Statements that someone is "dishonest and scary" and a "deadbeat dad";
  • Posting a list of "Top Ten Dumb Asses";
  • Calling someone a "big skank", "local loser", and "chicken butt";
  • Saying a university is a "suspected degree factory";
  • Calling reporting from a news organization "slanted reporting"; and
  • Characterizing a workplace as "horrible" and a "horror".

Defamation is considered in context. Different judges do not always interpret the law the same way. So, please don't take these examples to be hard and fast rules about particular phrases.

Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask, if satisfied with our service pleaseprovide us with positive feedback, thank you
Are you taking new clients ? Can you refer me to anyone. Whatever I write I want it verified by you.
or some attorney who specializes in defamation area

you can send anything you write to me for a review, just ask for wallstreetfighter

good luck, and if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, so we can receive credit, thank you