I just got off the phone with the copyright office and

apparently, quotes aren't copyrightable? The...
I just got off the phone with the copyright office and apparently, quotes aren't copyrightable? The rep said I should trademark instead. Is that right?
5/17/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello and welcome back. Quotes can be copyrighted, but typically in the context of a quote that is taken from a larger piece of work. So, if you are taking a quote from the book Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow, then you would likely be committing a copyright violation; however, a stand alone quote like "An smart phone is only as good as its user," or "Just Do It" is going to be trademarked. If you are selling that individual quote or using that quote to sell something, then you're in trademark territory. It's a bit of a gray area, but hopefully that makes sense.

What service would you recommend for trademark submission again?

For trademarks, I would probably recommend just doing it through LegalZoom. I have had a lot of customers do it through them and it walks them through it:)

Plus, it's cheaper than hiring an attorney.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
That is all. Thanks!

You bet!