I'm interested in fees for breaking a 1 year contract with a…

Hello: Hello, I'm interested...

Hello: Hello, I'm interested in fees for breaking a 1 year contract with a realtor.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Eastern Suffolk County, NY.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Just the price range for the paperwork to break the contract.

5/16/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

So I can clarify, are you wanting to know how much are the fees for breaking the contract with a realtor?

I have a year contract.

I see. So, the law doesn't specifically state how much an agent would be owed if you broke the contract. If you were to break the contact, then a court would probably require you to pay for the reasonable value of the agent's services. So, depending on how much work they've done, they may be entitled to at least some reasonable compensation, but the law doesn't specifically outline how much would be owed.

What other questions did you have for me today about this?

No. I do not need to speak to you directly. I prefer to continue via messaging.

Oh, that’s not a problem with the phone call. The system automatically asks if you want one, but there is no problem declining the request. Did you get a chance to see what I put? What questions did you have for me about that?

The realtor did not do much work, which is the point of my inquiry. He took pictures of my home, then showed the house to 2 buyers. He does not return my calls, and tried to switch me to another realtor within his company. I have not started paperwork, yet but have been doing due diligence to see what my choices are.
Are you there??

I see what you mean. So, if they haven't done any work other than taking some pictures and showing two buyers the home, I have no reason to believe that a court would consider them to have earned their fee at this point. Accordingly, if they did sue, then they would probably not be awarded anything at all so you can probably cancel the agreement without repercussion.

The realtor is basically telling me, "look, I don't want to work with you." Consequently, I don't want to continue to waste my time. Would you be able to make an adequate referral for a real estate attorney in the area?

You know, the site prevents me from making specific referrals, but I can do you the next best thing.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most in advertising can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. If you click here, you can see a full list of all of the lawyer referral services throughout the country. You can also search for attorneys on a website called Lawyer Legion (click here) that scours all 50 states based on the kind of attorney you need.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
No. Thank you for your service.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

I am signing off, now. Please do not continue to charge my card. Thanks.

No problem!