I would like to know can I represent my corporation in small…

Hello Sir, I would...

Hello Sir, I would like to know can I represent my corporation in small claim court in Illinois or do I need an attorney?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Yes, my old landlord tried to sui me for breaching lease contract

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Macomb illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have some evidence to prove she breach lease first, I want to know if I have a case

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/16/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I did not got any answer from you! First I want to ask you can i represent my corporation at small claim court with an attorney?
Loren, why you charge me $47, you did not give me no answer, this is ridiculous

A corporation can defend itself in small claims court, but to act as plaintiff it must be represented by an attorney. This is true even in small claims court.

If this matter comes to the court’s attention, either in the trial court or on appeal, or in connection with the corporation’s attempt to collect a judgment? The answer is that all proceedings in the case will be declared null and void from the outset. Any judgment that was entered in the corporation’s favor will likewise be declared void and unenforceable. Moreover, if the corporation then hires a lawyer to re-file a proper suit, a statute of limitation may already have run or another time-sensitive period may have expired. In other words, all previous proceedings will have been a complete waste of time and money and the corporation may also have forfeited an otherwise viable claim.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.

Somebody is sue my corporation for money, I am the president. I can not find an attorney, can I represent my corporation in small claim court?

Are you still online with me?

I just want to know I am the one try to sue, I am the one got sued
I want to know is that make difference

You can appear on your own as an officer of the defendant corp in small claims court.

I said that in the first line of my answer.

Can you help me find an attorney in Macomb il

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys, themselves, use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

The judge in Macomb to me I can represent my corporation in Illinois, I have to find an attorney, is she worng?
that is my last question
can you answer this question or no?

Illinois Supreme Court Rule 282(b) reads in full:

“No corporation may appear as claimant, assignee, subrogee or counterclaimant in a small claims proceeding, unless represented by counsel. When the amount claimed does not exceed the jurisdictional limit for small claims, a corporation may defend as defendant any small claims proceeding in any court of this State through any officer, director, manager, department manager or supervisor of the corporation, as though such corporation were appearing in its proper person. For the purposes of this rule, the term ‘officer’ means the president, vice- president, registered agent or other person vested with the responsibility of managing the affairs of the corporation.”

thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you for using JA.

Loren, Attorney
Not this time, loren, you rush me for 3 min question, I think $47 is pretty generous,

Posted in error.