I am pregnant. My baby's father cheated and dumped me for…

I am pregnant. My...

I am pregnant. My baby's father cheated and dumped me for the other woman. He made threats that if I wouldn't abort he and her would take the baby from me. In a fit of hormonal rage I posted our story on the cheaters report website. Everything I said was factual, however- now that I am more clear headed- I am concerned that I may have caused trouble for myself. Can he do anything legally against me? Nothing I said links to his career so it can't hurt his revenue at all. Just want to know what I need to watch out for or what I can expect if he decides to retaliate

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I have taken none. I am trying to see what there is he might can do against me

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Delaware

5/16/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Of course! I understand. Thank you.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. This could be a case of defamation. Defamation is a false and defamatory statement published to a third party that causes harm. There are some defenses and truth is a defense. If what you said was truthful, then that would work as a defense if he tried to sue. The only other problem is that he could sue for public disclosure of private facts. That occurs when a person publicly discloses private facts about another person that would be offensive. So, the answer is yes, he could, but it would only be a civil issue; not a criminal one. My recommendation would be, if you can, take the stuff down off the internet entirely so he won't have a cause of action at all.

Because I value your input, I would like to know what other questions did you have for me today that I can help you out with:-)?

Thank you, ***** ***** been rough going- I just wish I hadn't lashed out now. How often does public disclosure of private facts hold up in court? And what would be the consequences if I did not pursue the removal of the information? (Only reason I ask is because I would have to hire a lawyer to remove it because the story no longer belongs to me and that could cost around $2k from the last one I spoke to.)

You're welcome. It doesn't always hold up because most people can't prove that it caused them any real kind of harm. If you didn't pursue removal of the information, and if he doesn't pursue it, then there's nothing that'll happen other than it just going into the internet abyss with other information about people. Does that make sense? How else can I help you today?

What evidence would he need to prove real harm was caused and what does real harm entail?

It would have to be things like therapist bills or if they lost their job as a result. But other than that it's hard to prove damages and it's why many cases like that fail.

Okay, I think I understand. Thank you! Could another lawyer use the fact I lashed out against me in a custody battle if he decided to pursue that? I just wanted to examine all the angles of ramifications I can expect.

Cool. Well, they could bring it up, but they'd have to connect it to how this would affect the best interests of the child. Usually, bad blood between the parents is not uncommon, but if it doesn't impact the child directly, which something like this probably wouldn't, then there isn't an issue.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Oh okay. I feel much better about the situation. Thank you so much for your help!

Thanks so much!