How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 18356
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On July 4, 2017 several owners and children went to the roof

This answer was rated:

On July 4, 2017 several owners and children went to the roof of our building in NYC to see fireworks. The board president was mad that we were up there, but did not come out and ask us to leave. Instead, she removed the brick that propped the door open and locked us out with at least 5 minors including 2 6 year olds. I went to the police station and no one could figure out if any law was broken. My daughter to this day talks about the mean lady who locked us on the roof. I would like to press charges against her if I still can and am able.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.

This is probably a case of false imprisonment. I don't have reason to believe that this was a criminal action, but rather you and everyone else could have a civil cause of action against this person.

False imprisonment occurs when a person is confined to a bounded area. In a suit for false imprisonment, the damages award may include compensation for loss of earnings while imprisoned, for bodily and mental suffering caused by the imprisonment, and for expenses incurred in securing discharge from restraint including a reasonable attorney fees.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no one was physically hurt, but my daughter is apparently experiencing difficulty with it as she brings it up from time to time. What type of lawyer should I seek? What is the statute of limitations on this and why is this not a criminal act?

I can understand. So, if she suffered mental suffering as a result, then that is something that you could sue under. You would have to show that she suffered some mental harm such as through reports by a doctor or a therapist. The reason it's not a criminal matter is because it doesn't appear that the state legislature had made something like this a crime. I cannot find anything that would suggest that this is criminal, but it doesn't mean you would have some recourse. Even then, without any physical harm, it seems improbable that a district attorney would pursue the case, unfortunately.

Did you have any other questions for me today? If not, were you satisfied with my service today:-)?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What type of attorney should I contact and is there a statute of limitations?

You'd want to find a civil litigation attorney and the statute of limitations for this is one year in NY state so you have some time, but you must move quick.

One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most in advertising can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. If you click here, you can see a full list of all of the lawyer referral services throughout the country. You can also search for attorneys on a website called Lawyer Legion (click here) that scours all 50 states based on the kind of attorney you need.

Did you have any other questions for me about this today?

Legal Eagle and 6 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your help!

You bet!