Can an executive member of a NPO write themselves a check?

Can an executive member...

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are they in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken so far?

Not sure...just know that they wrote a check made payable to themself

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What, if anything, can be done to the individual. the individual is very wreckless with the funds raised

5/13/2018
Jessica B

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

First, an executive may write themselves a check if it is for reimbursement of an out of pocket expense on behalf of the organization. The executive must present a receipt or proof of the expense for proper record keeping.

If you believe the executive wrote a check for a non-legitimate purpose, then you may sue them in civil court for return of the stolen funds. You may also report them for criminal activities such as theft.

Jessica B