When I file the motion to vacate the judgment, do I have to…

Hello its me again when...
Hello its me again when I file the motion to vacate the judgment, do I have to file it at the same court the original judgment was made?
5/12/2018
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. A Motion to Vacate Judgement should be filed in the same court in which that judgement was originally entered. You are essentially asking the court to reconsider and so that is done in the same court that made the original decision.

Do note that if you are seeking to vacate a judgment as part of an appeal, rather than as a motion, different filing rules apply.

I hope this information helps. If you need additional assistance, feel free to reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

​Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy
What is the difference between part of an appeal rather than a motion, also how long will it take for the courts to decide?
Hi Wendy thank you for your quick response I a have another question pertaining to this and that is will the court allow me to request a motion to vacate a judgment based on the fact that the court never filed a notice of entry of judgment and papers were never sent to me regarding this judgment 3 years ago?

It sounds as if a motion in the court where the judgment issued is the right course. An appeal would have had to have been filed within 30 days of the judgment. Here, with your situation of having not received notice, you are likely looking to vacate and essentially start over. Not knowing the specific facts of your case, this article may help in terms of some of the most common grounds for vacating a judgment: https://www.fizzlaw.com/article/how-to-vacate-judgment-in-california/

Thank again Wendy. I will look into it. Thank you for the additional resources.

You are very welcome and best of luck. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.