I have just discovered a judgment was entered against me 3…

I have just discovered...

I have just discovered a judgment was entered against me 3 years ago regarding an unlawful detainer hearing that I did not appear in. However I did appear in court for the civil case to settle any damages that was owed to the landlord, the judge order another judgement for the exact same amount at the previous judgment. Now I paid the second judgment because I received a "Notice of Entry of Judgment Form and from that I went to the courthouse where the civil case was held and paid it in full. 3 years later I am served with an MC-12 Memorandum cost after judgment because the landlords are now trying to recoup from the judgment from the unlawful detainer case. I was never served a notice of entry of judgment and after checking the case summary one was never filed. Am I able to appeal because the judgment I paid for those damages was paid on the civil case?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have not taken any steps I just received notice of this last week when the landlord sent me the MC-12. It was not recorded just a form he completed and mailed to me, but reviewing the case summary on the court's website I discovered that the MC-12 was rejected twice ty the court (all happening within the same week last month) Until the 3rd time it was approved along with a Writ of Execution was filed in motion on 5/10/18.

Answered in 1 minute by:
5/12/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Greetings and welcome to the site. I am in the process of reviewing your question and working on a reply! I will be right back!
You can file a motion at the clerks office to vacate the judgment on basis that you didnt have notice. The motion will usually be granted!You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.If the other side considers risk, legal fees and time you should get the outcome you seekBy being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Okay thank you but I would be able to to file a motion to vacate the judgment although 3 years have gone by when the judgment was originally opened?
court has discretion to grant it!
Please click on the 5 star rating (*****) on the question page - that’s how I get credit for my time by the site. If you dont see the rating button, please just reply “5 stars” Much appreciated!If you found my reply fast and helpful, you may if you wish after rating select an appropriate Bonus or tip. This is not required and entirely within your discretion
INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Great ok thank you!
Very welcome.