I just found out that my soon to be ex husband hasn’t paid…

I just found out...

I just found out that my soon to be ex husband hasn’t paid taxes on the home my children and I live in. The house was in his name and now it has been sold at sheriff sale. What are my rights? I don’t want to stay but need to know how much time I have to vacate?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Chester Pennsylvania,

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Delaware county

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that’s it

5/12/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Please ignore any reports from the site regarding your expert being offline, they are incorrect as delays in replies are caused by many reasons including working with multiple customers on this site or clients in our office at the same time.

Under PA law, you have 9 months from the sale to redeem the property by paying the purchaser what they paid to acquire the property. However, if the house was solely in his name, you need to go to the family court where the divorce is being heard and ask the court to order him to redeem the property or to order him to supplement your rent to find a new place to live. Since the divorce is not final he is liable to continue to assist in your support and is supposed to be supporting the children, so you need to file a motion for order to show cause for contempt in the divorce case and ask the court to order him to redeem or pay for you to move and for rent in a new place.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Can my husband put me out of the home once the divorce is final?

Thank you for your reply

Your husband cannot, but if they foreclose on the home the new owner can.