Does a person have any legal recourse with a man that moves…

Does a person have any...
Does a person have any legal recourse with a man that moves into a woman's house and pays nothing to help with household expenses, food or mortgage. He also brings one horse and immediately starts buy more until he is up to six. He pays only for a little hay and she has to pay the rest of the feed bills and other horse expense like vet bills. This has gone on for over a year and she finally asked him to move out. After two months of stalling, he's finally out but says he owes her nothing. There was no formal agreement when he moved in but she is about to go broke because of his extra expenses.
5/11/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I’m sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, if a party receives property or services at the significant expense of another, then the theory of unjust enrichment comes into play. Unjust enrichment is based on the idea that one person should not be permitted to unjustly enrich himself at the expense of another, but should be required to make restitution for the property or benefits received. To recover on a claim of unjust enrichment, the plaintiff must show that the defendant was unjustly enriched at the plaintiff's expense. (Bloomgarden v. Coyer) For example, Uber was sued for unjust enrichment for using the trade secrets obtained from Google for Uber’s own benefit. Another example is how the NCAA makes money off college athletes, but doesn’t pay them a salary. Regardless, this is a theory that suggests that if one party is substantially benefitting from a deal and it’s not fair, then this is a cause of action.

In your case, even though there was no formal agreement, the fact that they took full advantage of you suggests that you have a case for unjust enrichment.

You may want to consider just writing a cease and desist letter advising of this unjust enrichment. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template cease and desist letter (click here). Lawyers use letters like these often to enforce their client’s rights. It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. How else can I help you today?

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Thanks you so much for your help. That is all for now.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Already gave you a 5 Star Rating

You're too kind. Thank you!