I had a question regarding "Adjustment of Status", the final…

Hi I had a...

Hi I had a question regarding "Adjustment of Status" , the final step in employment-based immigration.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the U.S. government?

Yes, This is within the final step. I just had a question. My passport has expired and I was wondering if a current passport is a requirement or I can go ahead and submit the forms with an expired passport.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer about this?

Not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am currently in the United States so there is no need to use a passport to enter the US

5/10/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your immigration law question this evening. I'm attorney Bill an experienced immigration attorney assisting you.

Your old passport can be submitted to verify you arrival, departure records and current visa is valid.

You will require a new passport that can be submitted to USCIS at a later date for visa stamping as it won't be possible to stamp an expired passport.

You should contact your nearest consulate for a new passport request in this regard.

We are here to help so please follow up with me as required.

I'm an independent legal expert and rely on your positive feedback to get a credit for my time today.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

I am currently inside the United States. I will be submitting I-485 , I-765 and I-131. I was under the impression that Visa stamping would be only for entrance. Granted that I am already in the US , would I still need a current passport?

Are you applying for a green card ?

In case of a green card application your permanent residence won't be affected by an expired passport.

You should obtain a new passport for the i-551 stamp at interview.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

this would be Adjustment of Status through EB-2

Yes , so you they will request you to present with a valid passport at interview.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Does an Employment-Based AOS still require an interview? (EB-2) I'm sending off my prepared documents (i-485 , Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and Advance Parole) I would like to know what the next steps are.

I see you have yet to rate my previous answer positively, I rely on your positive feedback and rating to get a credit for my time.

USCIS will interview you for an employment based i-485, there is a new policy on this where most applicants are interviewed since 2017.

Sometimes they will not request an interview and you can be approved without an interview, USCIS will write to to inofrm you as to whether you will be required to attend an interview and inform you of the documents you should bring to your interview.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney