Jessica B
Jessica B,
Experience:  Attorney at Donald B. Linsky & Associates, PA
70397729

My grandson killed himself friday afternoon and his mom has

Hi there, My grandson killed himself friday afternoon and his mom has been working at the same location with a call center for over 10 years. The call center has changed ownership 4 times during that time. The current company is Alorica. Spelling unknown. It is and has always been a GMC call center. She has had all 4 of her children covered for $10,000 life insurance. We heard today that the suiside clause prevents them from covering this child. My question is WHY is he not covered? My daughter did not lose longivity with the company. Her salary was changed once with the second company. They took away her annual raise. I worked with Hill Country Life Insurance Company and Columbia Universal Life insurance Co. for over 20 years. This kind of exclusion rider is not meant to exclude 10 year employees.
JA: Have you discussed this with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?
Customer: No, another cousin working for an insurance company checked into it.
JA: Are you an "at will" employee? Do you belong to a union?
Customer: I am her grandpa. No union. I would guess at will.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My grandson is 17.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

The “suicide clause.” Usually, this clause states that no death benefit will be paid if the insured commits suicide within two years of taking out a policy. However, unless one committed suicide within the first two years of their policy, the insurance company will likely return the premiums paid, but no added benefits would go to loved ones. No matter what, in such scenarios, any family members left behind should consult the insurance company if the policyholder has committed suicide. There are plenty of examples where family members had to go to court to collect insurance benefits.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think the key here is the longevity of the employee. Benefits are usually offered s a carry-over from one year to another. Even when the ownership changes, they attempt to offer like benefits.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No phone call. We are trying to save $$$.

You may have an argument if the policy has been in place for more than 2 years. This is definitely a situation where the insurance may be hoping the family doesn't put up a fight.

Please let me know if I may be of assistance with any other questions. If not, please remember to rate my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** contacting GMC and Alorica for their help. I think they should pursue this along with us. Again, thank you for your input.

Thank you