I'm looking for assistance with divorce and custody

I'm looking for assistance...

I'm looking for assistance with divorce and custody proceedings

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

I have not filed any paper work yet; in the hopes that my wife would be willing to be amicable and proceed with the process with me. However; it appears she has filed an order of protection against me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

AZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

As far as technical information regarding the case; I do wish to proceed with dissolution of marriage.

5/7/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions.

I believe my wife filed an order of protection. I haven’t been served with any documentation yet but my parents did let me know that someone came by trying to serve me. Should/ can I go to pick up the documents?

Good question. The answer to your question is yes. You should go pick up the documents. The reason is because it'll tell you what you can and can't do and what you're supposed to do in the meantime. Typically, the OOP is going to come with a case # ***** it will also tell you of any upcoming court dates. Oftentimes, these OOPs are granted right away for a short time, then there is a future hearing to see if it should stay permanent. This way, you can avoid stepping on any landmines that may land you in jail.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

I am going to get the documents. Should I file an OOP against her as well or at least the dissolution of marriage? My primary goal is maintaining custody of my daughter.

Only if you feel like she is a threat to you or your daughter. A court wouldn't like you to file one if you don't believe she is going to be a harm to you and if the one against you is baseless, they'll dismiss it altogether. Plus, parties to a divorce are required not to do things that interfere with the right of custody or property of the other so an OOP may not be necessary.

Did you have any other questions for me regarding this today?

Is there anything I can do to circumvent the paper work she has filed?

Unfortunately, no. The best thing to do is to just respond to the paperwork and show up for the court dates that are listed. I think that preparing to defend yourself is the wisest idea as well. There isn't any way to circumvent the paperwork at this stage. The court just needs to see that you're not a threat to them first so they can remove the order.

Ok, thank you.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Hi! I have a pretty specific question I was looking to ask

Hi and welcome back. I'd love to help you; however, the site requires that you have to open up a new question thread since this last one was closed. You can click on my profile I believe to ask a question directly to me so no other experts interfere:-)