I have a question regarding pets and legal ownership. Is…

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question regarding pets and legal ownership. Is that a area you can answer some question for me?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I biarded my cats for 4 days during a move in 4/12. Same day I ended up having a heart attack and was hospitalized until yesterday. I called today to check the status and get a cost estimate and was told I lost my rights to them. I’m devastated!

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No just that I did call today to see about bringing them home but was unable go call while I’m tbe hospital. My family didn’t even know where I. Was or how to find me early on.

Submitted: 19 days ago.Category: Legal
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/2/2018
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Lawyer replied 19 days ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer

I am sorry to hear this.

You did not give up ownership of the cats because you were unable to recover them as scheduled through no fault of your own. The cat boarder is being unreasonable and acting unlawfully.

You can sue to recover them in small claims court, see

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/small_claims/index.shtml

Even assuming you signed a contract that called for forfeiture of the cats if they were not picked up as scheduled, that clause would be considered unconscionable and unenforceable, in my opinion.

I hope this information is helpful.

N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Lawyer