legalgems
legalgems, Lawyer
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

Assurance Insurance has scam me. Michigan. None

Assurance Insurance has scam me
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Michigan
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Hello; what is your question please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I gave them my social security number and now I am very worried about it

Often times insurance companies will ask for social security numbers for several reasons, the primary ones being:

1. to determine there are no Medicare reimbursement claims the company may be liable for

2. to check on past claims via the ISO claim search program.

If a company does not adequately safeguard the number they can be liable for negligence if the number results in identity theft.

Some individuals will put a credit lock/freeze with the credit bureaus to help protect against identity theft since that is becoming more common no matter how much effort is put into safeguarding one's personal information.

Further questions please post here.

If no further questions kindly rate positively so the site credits me for my time.

The above information is for educational purposes only; if one seeks legal advice please contact the local bar association for a referral to a licensed attorney in your area that is able to review your case in a private, confidential setting and will be able to tailor advise specific to your situation.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but after checking them out there is no address on file only a phone number. they were very good and very convincing. All they wanted was my social security number and now they talk to me any more.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
now all they do is hang up on me

If a social security number is ***** to an unknown caller then the standard procedure is to place a freeze on one's credit report to help protect access to one's information.

It is possible that the caller was not affiliated with any legitimate company.

Please see:

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10064.pdf