I have a dispute with a mediator/arbitrators fees. I paid…

Customer Question
I have a dispute...

I have a dispute with a mediator/arbitrators fees. I paid for service day of mediation and day of arbitration yet after the arbitrator made his award he continued to charge fees and is seeking payment. I didnt receive an invoice for three months past arbitration.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

I have tried to dispute fees with him since there was nothing in our signed agreement saying that fees would be accrued

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, as i attempted to dispute these fees I got a response from the mediator/arbitrator where he added the other party to show that I haven't paid his outstanding fees--im not sure of the ethics behind that or if he has to do that to remain "unbiased"

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Legal
5/2/2018
Lawyer: Sean K, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Sean K
Sean K, Lawyer

Hi, I’m Sean and I will be assisting you as an expert today. I’m an attorney with more than 20 years of experience. It is my goal to provide a solid overview of your situation. Whether the analysis is good or bad as to your matter, I want to make sure you understand any points you need and that you have options to better address the questions you have. If I am able, I will also provide you with some resources. Please note that the system, independent from me, may offer a phone call. You are not obligated to engage in a phone call, but I am happy to speak if you desire. This is completely up to you.

You reference mediator/arbitrator fees. Several questions first - which county in SC are you located? Also, was it a mediation or an arbitration? This is important as it can have an impact on how fees are awarded.

Berkeley County as part of our family court agreement we can submit issues to mediation then binding arbitration (attached). In May we had mediation that did not go well so it was with the same person for binding arbitration in July. I attached an image of the only fees discussed. When disputed he stated that "I bill for my time. You pay me for the time you use. There is court Ordered arbitration clause that defines the costs of arbitration not the mediation agreement. In the court order, I can attribute fees and costs for communication with the arbitrator is billed. I deemed each party paying half of the expenses incurred reasonable. You were served with that Order. Please comply with that order. I have included other party in this communication. Please include him in all communication with me" . I have also attached the "fee agreement" in the arbitration award where he stated he sent fees to each party-invoice was received 10/13 which is also attached.

My apologizes. I have had an issue arise that requires my immediate attention away from my computer. I am going to return your question to my colleagues and you will not be billed anything for any interaction with me.

Best of Luck.