Need to have some question about a devorce degree? I was…

Need to have some...

Need to have some question about a devorce degree? I was once married, but remarried and have been with my second husband for over 40 years, but can not fine my certificate of devorce from my first marriage?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Illinois

4/30/2018
RobertJDFL, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. Are you asking how you can get the divorce records?

I was married in 1968 and file for a devoirce in I think 1977 or 78...he just up and let me and the children around 1975....no were to be found, so I went to a lawyer to start filing procedures. I got remarried in 1978, have been married for over 40 years until my husband died thisJjanuary, 2018.

Condolences on your loss, first and foremost. A divorce is public record -so if you remember what county you filed for divorce in, you could contact the Clerk of Court about obtaining a copy of the divorce decree. Now, because it was so long ago, it's very likely either archived in a warehouse, or on microfiche somewhere. So, I don't know what their procedures will be for that. I know when I have that issue with the Clerk of Court in my area, it takes weeks after making the request because someone actually has to go to a warehouse, pull the box, bring it back, go through it, etc. Bot***** *****ne though is you will still be able to get a copy.

I did get a copy or veirfication of my first marriage in 1968 but did not get a copy of the divorce, and i know I went to court and had a lawyer,it was declared a dissertion, and all rights were giving to me as a parent for our two children because he was no around or to be found, to even served papers to. I do know that he had remarried again in the 90's so there have to be divorce papers for him to remarry?
Absolutely, in order to get the marriage license, he would have had to present an order of the divorce.
I even call the lawyer who file my divorce and he has a large practice now Lol...but they said that the records were destroyed after 7 years and to seek the papers from the the cook county vital statistics and he also give a a number, like a docket number because it was so long ago, so I will try that route and see what becomes of it. thanks for your help and time..

Looks like the Cook County Clerk of Court Archive Department maintains records of old cases. There's a form you have to fill out to have them search for cases, and of course, they charge a small fee.

Instructions are here.

RobertJDFL, Attorney

Vital records only looks like they have marriage certificates, birth records and death certificates.