My wife and I have had financial troubles for going on a…

My wife and I...

My wife and I have had financial troubles for going on a year now.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Sorry, that wasn't a question. Anyway, we've tried to stay afloat and dig out of this hole. We've lost our home and credit is shot. we we're hoping to help rebuild our credit with a loan we have against her car. The car has a major motor issue but we thought we would save up the money to replace the engine. Roughly a cost of fifteen hundred to two thousand dollars. she is currently two months behind on payments. they have repossessed the car. we can get the car back for thirteen hundred dollars. We are planning to file bankruptcy because of our house and other debts. So here's the question. Should we retrieve the car and make the payment in effort to help our credit or let it go and include it in the bankruptcy? I'm sorry for the long question. I live in Virginia.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

4/30/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. So, generally, to repair your credit, usually it helps if you have a good credit payment history. This means that if you are able to retrieve the car and more importantly if you need the car, then not having it be discharged in your bankruptcy may be smart. On the other hand, bankruptcies, at least in the short term, can disqualify you for some loans, but what many people don't understand is that it wipes out nearly all of your debts. This means that even if you did include the car, the fact that you don't have any other debts means that a lender is more likely to loan to you because you won't have excessive obligations. Even if you have great credit and have never filed for bankruptcy, if you have excessive obligations, it makes you a bigger credit risk. Accordingly, based on what you provided, unless you absolutely need the car to get back and forth to work, church, school, or home, then you should include it in your bankruptcy petition.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

No Sir, No more questions. I thank you for your time and providing an excellent answer.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer