My medical records were released to a collection agency

My medical records were...

My medical records were released to a collection agency without my consent, can I sue?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I was in IL when I had the service. Although now I reside in TX

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

The facility is in IL. None, I just found out yesterday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have a copy of what the Drs office sent the collection agency.

4/28/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What do you mean they were released to a collection agency without your consent? Did you owe the debt? What specifically was released to the collection agency?

I did owe money for the services. I disputed the charges with a credit repair company and I Recieved a copy of all of my diagnostic tests that I took. This came from the collection agency verifying specifically why I was charged for the medical tests. The letter had specific tests i toook.

Thank you for your reply.

I was very afraid you were going to say that. Once a patient disputes a debt and demands validation from the credit collection agency, that IS their tacit consent under HIPAA to disclose the information to the collection agency so the agency can provide validation of the debt.

The HIPAA privacy rule requires a "business associate" (collection agency or billing firm) to reasonably limit the amount of information disclosed for such purposes to the minimum necessary as well as to abide by reasonable requests for confidential communications.

Once a debtor asks a collection agency to validate that debt, they are giving the collection agency permission to get the information necessary to validate that debt. So by disputing the charges with the credit repair company that gave the collection agency the right to get the information from the doctor to prove the debt. Patients can dispute such debts by contacting the doctor directly to demand personal health information surrounding the debt and thus avoid the doctor sending the information to the collection agency, but it is not a HIPAA violation for the doctor to share the information with the collection agency if you disputed with the collection agency through a credit repair company or otherwise I am sorry to say.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Did you have any further questions about this issue?

No, seems pretty cut and dry.

I am sorry, like I said, I was hoping your reply to my question was not what it was, so I could have some better information for you.