In small claims court-Illinois-I will probably file a

$10,000 claim. Can I also...
In small claims court-Illinois-I will probably file a $10,000 claim. Can I also recoup any money I have spent in preparing for this claim, such as, expert witness and evaluation by an expert of the damage that my contractor did to my bathroom. Also, an attorney told me he will help with the filing and organization of my claim information-charging me a flat fee for consultation and perhaps going to court with me. Can I recoup above the $10,000 cap??
4/28/2018
Bill Attorney

Dear Customer ,

Thank You for posting your civil litigation question today. I'm attorney Bill following up on your request. Filing in the small claims court doesn't allow the applicant to recover for neither court costs or attorney's fees.

You should think about filing the case in the general civil court if you would like to hire an attorney and recover his fees. This is the circuit court.

If you do proceed in the small claims court the filing costs are nominal but attorney's fees aren't awarded in these courts.

The court is limited to the cap of $10.

We are here to help so please follow up with me on your request if you need further information.

In return a positive rating gives me a credit for my time in assisting you today.

You do this by rating 5*****, 4**** or accepting my answer.

FIVE STARS or your rating is much appreciated in this regard.

Thanks

Attorney Bill

Bill Attorney