I entered into a comman law marriage in 1967 in Winston co…

I entered into a...

I entered into a comman law marriage in 1967 in Winston co Alabama we divorced I recently moved from Ohio to Indiana they are requiring me to show a legal document to obtain my drivers license I don’t know what to do

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in AL family court?

No lawyer from Alabama will touch it

Lawyer's Assistant: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?

No

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/27/2018
P. Simmons, Attorney

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But I do not understand your specific question. What document are you referring to? A divorce decree?

I have a divorce decree they want proof of name change like marriage license

SOry...I do not understand...did you change your name? If so, did you go to court to do so?

Sorry didn’t get your reply
Are you still there

I am...did you change your name? If so, did you go to court to do so?

No

I am confused...if you have the decree of divorce, and never changed your name, what is the issue?

It has to do with the new star they put on your license said you have to prove every time you have a name change

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The only proof they need for the REALID license (the license with the star on it) is the court order of divorce. Since there was a common law marriage, there is no marriage certificate and this is a clerk at DMV not understanding that your divorce decree stamped by the court and your birth certificate is all you need and you need to insist on speaking to a supervisor regarding the matter, because you cannot produce anything but the divorce decree, since a common law marriage and common law name change has no certificate or proof and the BMV clerks simply do not understand the law.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

I have been speaking with the state bmv

Thank you for your reply.

Okay, well they are wrong. The only thing you could have from the common law marriage is the court order of divorce, so you need to go through them to their supervisors to argue your case.