Is it possible to keep my bank accounts in my former name…

Hi! Is it possible...

Hi! Is it possible to keep my bank accounts in my former name but change my drivers' license to my domestic partner's name for ease of travel and social reasons?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

AZ

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We consider ourselves married, but we never had a marriage ordained or filed with the courts. It's a spiritual union and I want to take his name while leaving my financials intact. Ok, thx.

4/26/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

The answer to your question is yes; you can keep your bank accounts in your former name, but change your driver's license to your domestic partner's name for travel and social reasons. Generally, the name that goes on things such as government records like a driver's license must be accurate. For banking purposes, those are private matters. This means that so long as the bank can reasonably identify you through some form of identification, even if it is just an I.D. card that you get made at a check-cashing place, then you're fine. Sometimes, banks may require your DL information and the bank's information to match up, but if you have the same address, can confirm your identity through your SSN, and through some security questions, there's a 99% chance you will be fine.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Thank you, ***** ***** help. I did a bit of research and don’t think I can change it on my DL in Arizona without it being first changed on my social security card. I want to be sure I’m doing this correctly. Are these the steps I should take?
1. Legal name change through the court to my partner’s last name
2. Social security office
3. DMV
4. Employer, School, Social clubs, etc
4. Banks (only if I want to or be sure to have other photo i.d. to present to them)Is that correct? What about my green card and British passport? How do those fit into the equation? (I’ve been a US RESIDENT in good standing for 40 years, just never took citizenship here)Thank you again,
Jacqui

Good questions. Yes, that is a good course to ensure that your name gets changed officially in the places that you need. To change your passport, you'll need Form DS-82, and you would attach the court order for the name change, and you can get a new passport that reflects the new name.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer