My nephew was a 'partner' in a dental practice in Maryland…

My nephew was a...

My nephew was a 'partner' in a dental practice in Maryland for over 20 years. The dentist who owned the practice had a verbal agreement with my nephew that he would gain 5% if the business per year which he achieved in the subsequent 10 years. There was no written agreement. My nephew passed away in December if 2016. Can his wife pursue any type of settlement from the practice or did his half die with him? Thank you.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a MD lawyer about this?

Yes she said unwritten contracts are valid in Maryland.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps has he taken so far?

They are writing simple letter to dental group requesting their input on receiving his share. Real question is because he died he had no practice to sell as their was no one to do work. If practice had been sold with him alive he would have gotten his share???

4/26/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

I'm sorry to hear about your nephew's passing. Generally, agreements lasting longer than one year generally need to be in writing; however, if there is other evidence to suggest an agreement, a court would likely consider an agreement to exist. If a person has died, then part of their estate includes any rents or profits that would have been owed to them if alive. In your nephew's case, even though he has passed away, he is still owed this income from the dental practice. The executor or personal representative of your nephew's estate will likely be the one to accept this money and distribute it to his heirs according to his will or state law (if he has no will).

Great, thank you! The system may automatically ask you for a phone call; however, it’s not required that you take it. Bear with me a moment while I review…

Legal Eagle, Lawyer