LegalEase101
LegalEase101, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
17008935

I am a register sex offender in Indiana having been

I am a register sex offender in Indiana having been convicted of a crime against a minor in 2003 which occurred in 2000. I am currently on parole and when visiting my parole agent this morning I was informed that he contacted a county prosecutor for filing of possible charges because I stayed overnight in a hotel located across the street from a park and Theater. He stated that Indiana law states I cannot stay overnight anywhere within 1000 feet of a public park, school, day care center or place where children gather. I am not sure the law reads this way as when I have researched it the law states I cannot "reside" within 1000 feet and "reside" is defined as spending three consecutive nights at the location or more than 7 days in any given 30 day period. Could you advise on this matter
JA: What were you convicted of exactly? Have all your appeals been exhausted?
Customer: I was convicted of Child Molest and yes my case is almost 18 years old so everything has been exhausted
JA: Have you talked to an Indiana lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Yes and they haven't gotten back to me as of yet
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No there is isn't anything else

Hello, and welcome to Just Answer. I'm one of the legal experts here, and I will be assisting you with your question.

I disagree with your parole agent's interpretation of the word "reside." My definition is broader than the one you've found, but legally, "reside" simply means to dwell permanently or continuously. It expresses the idea that it's a place to which you keep returning as your fixed abode. It means that you are occupying a place as your permanent domicile. In other words, you are living there. When you are merely spending the night in a hotel, you are not "residing" there.

For your sake, hopefully the prosecutor will likewise disagree with the parole agent's definition of "reside." I hope my answer helps you. If it has, I would appreciate it if you would give me a positive rating. It is the only way that I will receive credit for my work on this site. If you need clarification regarding my answer, please ask. Thanks!