I have a question about business law I have a small business…

Hello I have a...

Hello I have a question about business law I have a small business that is registered and insured and I have an EIN. I started my business five years ago but made it legal last summer. I have been using my daughter's name, Emma, and her face, on my labels for the past five years. I sell jam and jelly and other preserves, and much of the money from the business goes into a 529 college savings account for my daughter, as well as helping to pay for camp and dance classes. Emma's father just sent me a notice telling me to remove her name and face from my business. Doing this now would mean starting over. Refiling permits, changing signage, re-filing bookings, and all of the expenses that go along with that. my question is - can he do this? can he sue me for this?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?

Massachusetts. I am trying to find an attorney He has not sued me or anything, but he appears to be preparing to. He has sued me numerous times before.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Nothing has been filed yet, just an email telling me to cease and desist.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I think that's it.

Answered in 1 minute by:
4/25/2018
INFOLAWYER, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

thank you

I see no basis for his position. You have a right to do so. If the child objects, then consider removing, in whole or in part, but the other parent may not object or take action, and is not likely to sue given the costs and low chances of success.

could you possibly point me to a place in the law books that would help me feel more confident about this?
I reviewed a case that made me very concerned (related to Virgin and the use of a child's face without permission)
, but otherwise, I found little on the subject. It's not a question often asked.

The claim is misappropriation of one's image and name. That cannot be done unless the person objects.

The child is 8 years old. Would she be considered old enough to object?

But you are the parent, so if child consents, you may do so. Compare it to a parent taking a child to modeling or commercial sessions

It falls within parental rights, as long as you have decision making powers for the child.

Do you think father has any claim to any of my profits from my business? He also intimated to me that he should get a "cut"
Father has 50% legal custody. Would that have any bearing? Should I call you?

If joint custody decisions are normally made together unless court has given you sole decision making. If you both have rights to decide and cannot agree, you can ask the court to decide, but court is likely to permit use provided the revenues go for benefit of the child from use of the image.

If my reply is acceptable, please reply "acceptable"

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Acceptable.
Thank you!

very welcome