My husband passed away last month, no will. As I am

My husband passed away...

My husband passed away last month, no will. As I am surviving spouse , I want to sell his motorcycle. It is in his name only. I have a buyer in Connecticut to take it ,but they want a letter (notarized) that I as his spouse can sell this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Florida and they would accept the info I have, but not Ct.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Death certificate, title, marriage license.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Ct. Motor vehicle needs certified letter they claim.

4/25/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. If someone dies without a will, even if you have children, then you inherit everything. To properly transfer the vehicle to your name, you usually first have to get the probate court's approval to do so. To get the court's approval, you'll have file to be the personal representative of your husband's estate. You usually have to list all of his property that he had in his estate such as any homes and including the motor cycle. Depending on the size of the estate, the court will authorize you to distribute his property to yourself. The court will usually issue "letters testamentary," which is just authorization to do so. Once you do that, you can go to the DMV, have the vehicle switched to your name, then sign it. Typically, the DMV will require the letters testamentary and will require the death certificate as well. Once you do that, then the transfer can go through without issue.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Thank you, ***** ***** giving me information I can use.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer