My question is regarding the FMLA laws in Texas. Not this…

My question is regarding...

My question is regarding the FMLA laws in Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager or HR? Or with a lawyer?

Not this particular question Basically what I need to know is this. I haven't even had my surgery yet and my paperwork states I should be able to return to work (light duty) in as little as 2 weeks. I am wondering if this can be changed once surgery is over. I have already had 6 hernias repaired and this will be for #7 and 8. In addition, I am undergoing abdominal wall reconstruction Is there any way to know before surgery how much time off I will need, or is this just a preliminary estimate for someone who is undergoing routine surgery

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the workplace "at will" or union? Is the job hourly or salaried?

Local city government..hourly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

4/25/2018
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information and your question. Yes, if your physician is of the opinion that you need more time off for recovery, you can submit an updated certification that shows the new return to work date. Assuming you have not used up your FMLA 12 weeks for the year, your employer would have to approve the extension. The law allows for up to 12 weeks a year for those qualified and there is no restriction on an updated return to work date.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to reply to this answer and let me know that I covered your question, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Marsha411JD, Attorney
Thank you for your answer. I was just concerned that they were saying 2 weeks, after he already told me 2 months, as I am not a typical patient. Thank you for your time

You're welcome. Keep in mind though that they need to extend your recovery time needed before you take it, so that you don't lose your FMLA rights. In other words, before your two weeks runs out, you need to submit an update to your employer.