My pension and social security are over $6,000 a month and…

My pension and social...

My pension and social security are over $6,000 a month and wife gives me $40.00 a week. We have to mortgage.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None. She is an accountant and controls all finances. I am in the Florida Pension Plan and I named her as my beneficiary.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm tired of living like i am in poverty.

4/24/2018
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There aren't any laws regarding how spouses must spend their money during a marriage. A judge could only order your wife to give you more money in the event of a divorce. If you're prepared to file for divorce, that is one option. You could also try discussing your concerns with your wife or asking her to go to counseling with you to find a solution.

With that said, you are also not required to deposit your checks into a joint account with her name on it. You could open an account in your name only and have some or all your checks directly deposited into that account instead. That would give you the ability to decide what you want to spend, how much to give her, and how much to keep for yourself.

A beneficiary designation only comes into play when you pass away. You would need her consent to remove her name as beneficiary, because she's your spouse. But that doesn't obligate you to allow her to control the money during your lifetime.

Have I answered your question? If any part of my response is unclear, please reply WITHOUT rating so I can clarify. My goal is to provide excellent service, so if I've done that, please give me a 5-star rating before signing out. Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Ok thank you. I will try that.

You're welcome!

Thank you so much for your advice. My problem was immediately solved. You gave me everything I needed. My life is back on track thanks to you.

You're very welcome. Thanks for the update!