I received a claim in ny with no court date, no court stamp.

Hi, I received a...

Hi, I received a claim in ny with no court date, no court stamp. Ny name is ***** ***** in white out. Seems like a scam to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a NY lawyer about this?

No. I just received it yesterday.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

None, I just received it yesterday

4/22/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

From whom was this received? How was it presented?

What do they want from you?

Do you recognize the claim?

It's from Midland Funding LLC. It came in the mail. They just want me to appear at the address listed on the envelope which there is no address on the envelope, it's on the claim. I do recognize company.

Is there a lawsuit in the documents you received?

How did you receive it? Was there a process server?

It says a "lawsuit has been filed against you claiming that you owe money for an unpaid consumer debt". It came in the mail. I do not believe there was a process server.

Have you called the courthouse to see if the clerk of the court has a record of the lawsuit in their records?

The court is closed and will open Monday Morning.

Does it contain any instructions?

Did it include a copy of a lawsuit?

It says to report to the address listed and answer yes. There is no copy of the lawsuit.

It does not sound like this is a summons and lawsuit.

On Monday, call the clerk to confirm that no suit is pending and that will confirm it.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney