Going through a Arizona divorce after 14 years of marriage…

Going through a Arizona divorce...
Going through a Arizona divorce after 14 years of marriage to a medically retired US Air Force officer who came down with schizophrenia. his behavior became too much for the kids they are adults now) I to cope with. I am severely physically disabled and was when we married but it has progressed and will continue to do so. Because he is medically retired he feels he does not need to provide my third of the pension from the military after the divorce. I have been getting it for many years. Twice we agreed in court to obtain the advice of an attorney who specializes in military divorce, but both times my husband later decided not to continue so we got no answer as to how to sort out the military issues. I feel like there should be something protecting me and my share of the military pension or military disability service-connected) I can't survive with no income from him, and have been told you can't take spousal maintenance out of his military money either, which I have also been getting. Is there any advice you can provide to me?
4/21/2018
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Sure this is part of property division. You really need a lawyer.Once the judge divides it up the lawyer has to prepare a QDRO qualified domestic relations order.It has to be sigmed by all the parties and the judge and submitted to VA here for them to pay you directly.

It would be very hard for you to complete this yourself.Lawyer can ask tht he pay your legal fees.It has to be perfectly drafted so VA will honor it.If you were married during the time he contributed to the plan then you may get half here.

Arizona, like most other states on the west coast, is considered a community property state. These states share many similar principles when it comes to dividing assets and obligations accrued during a marriage. Generally, anything that a married couple accumulates during the marriage is considered community property, that is, both spouses own an undivided share of the whole. Exceptions to this general principle include those assets acquired prior to the marriage, by gift, devise (by a will) or descent (inheritance). Because the Arizona courts start with a strong presumption that anything acquired during marriage is a community item, the spouse claiming a particular item is not community property has the burden of proving otherwise.From what you present this would be community property subject to division.

Lawyer referral

Contact Information:

Maricopa County Lawyer Referral Service
Phoenix, AZ
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Toll free:(###) ###-####/p>

Pima County Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service
Tucson, AZ
Phone:(###) ###-####**@******.***

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Prayers to you here with all.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated,

I know this issue went to the us Supreme Court back in May or June 2017. And what I understood was that because it's disability pay that money which then comes from the VA is 100% his which leaves him a small amount of air force pension that can be divided leaving me with $249 a month my share. It is considered service-connected disability even though he never saw any combat time. He has provided numerous cases Howell vs Howell, Mansell versus Mansell I forget the others, but I need something tangible to submit. Any ideas what I could use?I did have an attorney, his fees were $43,000 when we have no minor children and all community property except possibly this issue was divided years ago when we did a legal separation and I was given my third of the pension back then. Now he has asked to change it over into a divorce. More about the attorney, when I told him I couldn't afford such high fees, he told me to use my handicap accessible home to pay him. I was in total shock that I could lose my house and so we both decided not to work together- I am asking my husband to pay all my legal fees, and he is asking the same of me.A divorce will not only cost me $1,100 a month in pension but my Tricare for life, my supplement which covers my prescriptions 100% And Delta Dental. We have SBP, I think he has to maintain that?

So the other option here would be to argue for spousal support if he gets to keep it as disability then he should be able to pay spousal support.This is another way to get paid.

A judge in Arizona may award temporary—or "pendente lite," meaning pending the final divorce—maintenance during divorce proceedings. When the final order is entered, the judge may also order either temporary or permanent maintenance for a period of time. An order may direct one spouse to pay the other a lump sum, or more commonly, a monthly amount for a specific length of time.

Permanent spousal maintenance is becoming increasingly rare. Even after longer marriages, courts mostly tend to look at maintenance as rehabilitative—in other words, put in place temporarily to allow a spouse to find a job or obtain training and education to improve employment prospects.

In some situations, a court may award limited maintenance as reimbursement to a spouse who contributed to the advanced education and earning capacity of the other spouse. Courts generally award permanent maintenance only to spouses who are unable to become self-supporting—due to age or disability, for example—and even then only after long marriages. A couple can always agree between themselves to provide one spouse with long-term or permanent maintenance if both agree that this is fair.

Eligibility for Maintenance

To award spousal maintenance, a court must find that one spouse has financial need and the other has the ability to pay. An Arizona court may determine that need exists if one spouse:

• does not have enough property—even after the marital distribution—to provide for reasonable needs
  • contributed to the other spouse’s educational opportunities, or
  • is unable to be self-sufficient through appropriate employment.

Whether a spouse is able to be self-sufficient through employment requires the the judge to consider additional factors, including the current labor market and the spouse's existing skills and experience. Arizona courts give special consideration to older spouses who served as homemakers during long marriages, who commonly find that age and years out of the job market make it very difficult to find work that supports a lifestyle comparable to that enjoyed during marriage. A spouse who is the custodian of a very young child or a disabled child may not be required to seek immediate employment outside the home due to the needs of the child.

A court that finds spousal maintenance appropriate will set the amount and duration of the award after considering all relevant factors, including:

• the marital standard of living
  • the length of the marriage
  • the age, employment history, earning ability, and physical and emotional condition of the spouse seeking maintenance
  • the paying spouse’s ability to meet the financial needs of both spouses
  • the spouses’ comparative financial resources and earning abilities
  • contributions of the spouse seeking maintenance to the other spouse’s earning ability
  • the extent to which reductions in income or career opportunities of the spouse seeking maintenance benefitted the other spouse
  • both spouses’ ability to contribute to their children’s future educational costs
  • other financial resources available to meet the needs of the spouse seeking maintenance, including an award of marital property
  • educational or training opportunities available to the spouse seeking maintenance and time required to take advantage of any such opportunities
  • either spouse’s excessive spending, or destruction, concealment, or fraudulent disposition of jointly held property
  • costs of health insurance for each spouse, and
  • any damages and judgments from a spouse’s conduct that resulted in criminal conviction, if the other spouse or a child was the victim.

Although some courts in Arizona have experimented with using formulas to compute spousal maintenance, an Arizona judge who consults a formula must still consider all of the factors outlined above. After taking such factors into account, a judge has discretion in deciding what amount to award, or whether to award any amount at all.

Exactly exactly! Thank you for putting it so precisely so I know how to work things! However even though my husband's military VA and Social Security total about $6,000 a month text free, they are saying that they're not allowed to consider the VA income, and I think the Social Security disability, and figuring up spousal maintenance. That leaves are very small amount of income that is supposed to cover his expenses first, but he claims that he has $1,400 a month beyond that about so since he can't pay his own bills out of that, he can't pay spousal maintenance. I know they're saying the VA is not counted has his income for figuring spousal maintenance not sure about the social security disability. Any advice with this?

I would argue that equity requires such spousal maintenance here.You are in need of it to maintain your married lifestyle.

I'm sorry I do have a couple more questions and thank you so much for your answers. On his financial affidavit he listed expensive which he pays for his "mate". I don't know if she's a girlfriend or caretaker or what they live out of state in Pennsylvania. She is also retired military so she has her own income, however he admits he paid all the bills of his and hers, very new vehicles and such too. I'm thinking if she includes her expenses he would have to include her income as well, correct?

Yes he has no legal obligation to pay these and stiff you spousal support.His affidavit is really objectionable it isn't fair to claim he has to pay these, legally he doens't and she has her own income as you state.

Our trial is May 15th, I'm guessing this is probably too complex of a question but what am I expected to do during the trial since I'm My Own attorney?

Brief opening statement you can write it out.

Your honor I am ***** *****, Petitioner in this divorce , I am appearing pro se.We are here today to equity divide the marital assets and debts.It is my position that I be awarded x, y, and z as well as spousal support on the basis that I am disabled and require such support to maintain a minimal life style.And anything else you want to present.You can specifically reference that husband has included bills he is voluntarily paying yet doesn't include any of this persons income.The court should find that supporting an ex spouse has priority over voluntarily paying girlfriends bills.

Then each party presents here.If you are plaintiff you go first.After plaintiff presents here ,they can cross each witness.Any documents you have would be marked P1,P2, etc.Identify them yourself or have witness do it and ask that they be be admitted.

Closing statement--you present opening again saying that you are asking for this and that based on the credible exhibits and witnesses and you are asking the court divide the assets and debts and award spousal support.

something like this write it out inc case you get nervous you can read it.

The spouse seeking maintenance must show he or she qualifies by documenting any one of the following:

• Property, including property received in the divorce, is insufficient to provide for his or her reasonable needs;
• the spouse is unable to be self-sufficient through appropriate work, or lacks enough earning ability in the labor market to be self-sufficient, or takes care of a child whose age or condition requires the spouse to not work outside the home;
• the spouse contributed to the educational or career opportunities of the other spouse; or
• the marriage was for long duration and the spouse is of an age that prevents them from employment adequate to be self-sufficient.

If you do not pass this step, or your spouse cannot qualify under one of these factors, the court does not get to step two. This initial analysis is arguably the most important analysis to your case.

A few things should be noted here regarding the first factor above: When considering the amount of property that one spouse will receive, we are not stating that that spouse must use up all of the property in order to meet the reasonable needs. Instead, the court is looking at the income the property can produce as a consideration for whether the spouse can provide for his or her reasonable needs. The court is actually required to consider the “income-earning potential” of the property awarded to the spouse.

When looking at the second factor (self-sufficiency through work), the court is not looking at speculative expectations of employment, but rather actual employment or the ability to become employed. For instance, if a person must seek licensure before they can begin working, then they are not currently able to be self-sufficient through appropriate employment. We would also look at the health of the spouse when considering whether he or she is able to be self-sufficient through employment. The court will also look at the efforts (or lack of efforts) the spouse has made to become employed while the divorce is pending. This can be particularly challenging, because the spouse is often going through a great deal of stress and transition during this time. This can make trying to find a new job or entering the workforce even harder than it would be otherwise. However, the judge will want to know what efforts you have made to become employed when considering whether or not you qualify for maintenance under this factor.

The third factor exists so that a spouse who has supported and contributed to the other spouse’s professional degree gets fairly compensated. This is because after the divorce, a degree in law, medicine, pharmacy, or other profession will be the separate property of the spouse who earned the degree.

The fourth factor is usually applied for marriage of a very long duration when spouses are around 50 years old or older. This is typically the scenario for any indefinite awards of maintenance.

The underlying purpose of spousal maintenance is for both parties to achieve independence and to require an effort toward independence for the spouse who is seeking maintenance. The court will look at whether or not a good faith effort is being made toward achieving independence. The court also prefers a fixed term of maintenance rather than a lifetime award of maintenance.

In its analysis the court will consider the following:

1. Standard of living established during the marriage. Here, the court will also look at whether the standard of living was consistent during the marriage and whether the standard of living was accumulated by acquiring debt. The court recognizes that each spouse cannot necessarily maintain the exact standard of living enjoyed during the marriage, but one spouse shouldn’t be required to consume property while the other maintains the former lifestyle through income.

2. Duration of the marriage. In general, under 10 years is a short marriage, 10-20 years is a medium length marriage, and over 20 years is a marriage of long duration.

3. Age, employment history, earning ability, and physical and emotional condition of the spouse seeking maintenance. For this factor, it is the ability to earn and not actual earnings that matter. The facts of the case, including young children, may affect the earning ability of the spouse. Employment history is a factor used to determine earning ability. The court balances the effort and actual ability for the spouse seeking maintenance to become self-sufficient.

4. Ability of the spouse requested to pay, to meet his or her own needs while paying maintenance. This factor considers the separate assets and all available income of the paying spouse, balanced with that spouse’s actual expenses, including debt. One case held that an award of less than 25% was certainly within the payor spouse’s ability. Future earnings and earning capacity can also be considered, not just what a spouse is actually earning.

5. Comparative financial resources of the spouses, including their comparative earning abilities in the labor market. Awards anywhere between 16.5% of the disparity in income all the way up to 47% of the disparity of income have been upheld by the court of appeals.

6. Contribution of the spouse seeking maintenance to the earning ability of the other spouse.

7. Extent to which the maintenance-seeking spouse reduced his or her income or career opportunities for the benefit of the other spouse. When the issue of maintenance goes before the court, the court looks at the financial status of both spouses. What did one spouse give up while helping the other spouse develop a better career? How much did the working spouse gain because the other spouse did not work to his or her full ability but assisted and supported the working spouse in career advancement?

8. Ability of both parties after the dissolution to contribute to the future educational costs of their mutual children. For this factor, it is reasonable to consider the costs both parties have assumed for paying a child’s college tuition, books or living expenses. The case on point stated that the husband could be required to pay maintenance to the wife so that she could also contribute to the childrens’ college costs. His reduction in income due to spousal maintenance should be offset by a reduction in his expenses associated with college.

9. Financial resources of the party seeking maintenance, including marital property awarded in the divorce, and that spouse’s ability to meet his or her own needs independently. Here, considerations include whether or not liquid assets or income-producing assets would be awarded in the divorce. Also, if a spouse received a home or car, did it come with corresponding debt or are the assets paid off, thereby reducing the need for monthly income? The court should also look at the income that will be received from retirement assets, like IRA or pension income.

10. Time necessary to acquire sufficient education or training so that the maintenance-seeking spouse may find appropriate employment, and whether such education or training is readily available. The court will look at whether or not employment should be suggested for the spouse. If a spouse is 65 years old and has not worked during the marriage, then training or employment is probably unlikely. On the other hand, if the spouse seeking maintenance is looking to become a licensed nurse, the court will look at whether the training is available and the time it might take to get the education, license and employment. The court might also look at a person’s history in school. Have they historically done well in school or not?

11. Excessive or abnormal expenditures, destruction, concealment or fraudulent disposition of community, joint tenancy and other property held in common. Misrepresentation of income and/or hiding assets could result in a spouse paying more spousal maintenance than they otherwise would have.

Focus on these and why you meet these and qualify for spousal support improve your chances the judge has same list here.

Wow you're amazing thank you so much! As far as witnesses that I might call who would be a witness? I'm not into calling my kids who know what I've been through I think that's a lot to ask of them but who else would be a witness or is it just my husband and I?

Yourself pretty much, friends testify about your disability and financial need for help here.

What documents are allowed to be shown for the first time on the day of the

As long as there was not a deadline for exhibits prior to trial you can introduce anything you want the court to consider here.

Ray, Lawyer
You have answered all my questions for now! Thank you so much! You've been much more help to me than my high priced attorney! I definitely would recommend you as an expert and not only military divorce which by the way it's nearly impossible to find anybody who's knowledgeable about that, but obviously divorce issues as well. At one point we were trying to resolve my West Coast military divorce by retaining an expert who lives on the East Coast who was very good but your answers are complete, helpful and just way more than I expected! I feel guilty not having to pay you $300 or $400 an hour that most attorneys in town charge! I wish I'd known about just answers a long time ago! At least for legal questions, and for Ray's help, I feel it will be priceless with preparing for and when Court time comes!