My wife’s involved in $125 Wal-Mart shoplifting for 1st

My wife’s involved in...

My wife’s involved in $125 Wal-Mart shoplifting for 1st time , she has clean background record . My wife disabled with depression , taking mental treatment and medications since 2010 and SSI since 2013. her court will be May 22th . please I need to know what I have to do for her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Have shoplifting charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

May 22th

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did the shoplifting occur?

Tn

4/21/2018
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I certainly understand. Does she want to contest this or try and resolve it?

The call police and he gave her ticket with court appointment

Thank you. There is an option for her, if she wants to keep her record clean and try and get this dismissed. If you are a first time offender, you can ask the State if they would allow you to enter into a diversion program. A diversion program would allow you to get the case dismissed and keep your record clean. It normally requires you to stay out of trouble, for a period of 3-6 months, pay fines and court costs and perform community service. If you do it all, the end result is normally a dismissal. These type of programs are set up to allow first time offenders to learn from their mistake and keep their records clean. It can be something that you ask about when you appear and the State will determine if you are eligible.

Please, due TN laws what the average fines?

Fines and court costs for something like this could range between $200-$300

Do you think she needs lawyer president to court?

I think it is always in the best interest of a defendant to be represented by legal counsel. They can look over the facts of the case and see what defense there are or try and work a plea deal out. If she wants to enter a diversion program, she can appear on her own and see if this is offered and if so, enter it, if she thinks it is in her best interest.

what is the best, let’s court know about her illness and disability or not?

It depends. If there is a mental health issue, there may be mental health court or she may not even be competent to stand trial. That is why she will need an attorney. She can not just walk in and say she has a disability and the charge will be dismissed.

Please , I need more explanations for my last question, she has depression and taking medicine for 8 year

Yes, I certainly understand. If that affected her ability to know right from wrong and this caused her to shoplift, it could e a mitigating factor or a defense, to the charge. This is something that needs to be looked into, so it can be determined if it can be used.

Thank you very much for your help and time
You are welcome and I wish her the best. If you have not already I kindly just ask that you rate my help at the top at this time. Thank you.
Sure
Thank you and I look forward to the positive rating.
LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Hi, please I need to know how much the attorney will charge me for this case? Thanks
An attorney may charge around $750-$1000 for legal representation for something like this. The site does not provide legal representation so you need to retain local counsel.
Thanks
You are welcome