If I do not have enough money to hire a lawyer or pay a

settlement what can the court...
If I do not have enough money to hire a lawyer or pay a settlement what can the court do if the plaintiff wins?
Answered in 1 minute by:
4/21/2018
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

What is the nature of the claim?

Do you have any assets the plaintiff can attach or garnish?

patient claims injury during tooth extraction. I have no assets.
I have read the depositions of plaintiff and dentist I assisted. Full of errors and falsehoods. I was nit covered by insurance.

Thank you for the additional information.

If you allow the plaintiff to get a default judgment then they will have the right to go after any property, accounts, wages, etc., to be seized and auctioned off until the judgment is paid.

However, if you have no assets, you may be what we refer to as "judgment proof". That means that it does not matter if they get a judgment because there is nothing the plaintiff can have seized to satisfy it.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Attorney
How does the court determine my assets?

Anything titled in your name. Bank accounts, real estate, jewelry, etc.

If you are in title then it is your asset.