Attorney Wendy
Attorney Wendy, Lawyer
Experience:  Member at Keefer & Keefer LLC
60270870

I need help in understand a legal statement concerning a

I need help in understand a legal statement concerning a award being given.
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Calif.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have had surgery, for an on the job injury. did the rehab and have been back on the job 5 years and they want to give me an award stating that I am 15% disabled and the statement I dont understand is in the form of an award saying "interest included and penalty waived if amounts due are paid by defendants within 25 days of award by defendant.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time
I'm a moderator for this website. I'm so sorry that an Expert has not connected with you yet. I wanted to reach out to see if you still needed assistance with your question? Please use the reply box below to let me know if you'd like to continue or cancel.
Thank you,
Wendy
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I am waiting for a reply

Hello. My name is ***** ***** (not the same person as the moderator you communicated with earlier). I am an attorney and am happy to help you understand the award. Your employer is the defendant in this action for workers' compensation related to your on-the-job injury. From what you described, I assume that there is an amount of money that has been awarded to you to compensate you for this injury the resulting partial disability. In such a case, your employer is required to provide that payment(s) to you. If that payment is made within 25 days from the date on the award, then the employer owes just what the awarded amount is without any accrued interest (your award may show an amount so far of interest but your employer will not be required to pay that interest if payment for the rest of the award is made within 25 days). If, however, the employer pays after that 25 days, then any interest accrued on the award amount and possibly an additional penalty will also be owed by your employer. This language is intended as an incentive to encourage prompt payment of the award.

Let me know if you have any additional questions. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Attorney Wendy, Lawyer
Experience: Member at Keefer & Keefer LLC
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for responding in a timely manner.

You are very welcome. I am glad I was able to help.