I've been married for 29 years. My wife for 15 plus years…

I've been married for...

I've been married for 29 years. My wife for 15 plus years has had a separate bank account and always refused to show me het earnings. She has a full time and part time job as a social worker in a hospital. I know she earns at least over $30 an hour. She does not do anything at home as far as cleaning, cooking, ext. Her life at home is watching TV. She doesn't even pick up for herself. I'm retired but I've had a part time job close to 20 years. About 4 years ago we got a letter from the IRS stating that she owes taxes. Behind my back she cashed in her 401K for $40,000. She refuses to tell me where the money went. Our home has been in dire need of home repairs for over 20 years. And nothing went to repairing. She spent almost $10,000 on a trip to Greece two years ago. She went against my wishes with a sister and her husband. Our home is cluttered with junk put there by her and out adult daughter. Neither ones does absolutely any house cleaning. She gives $1300 a month to help pay bills. Because of health issues I had to retire at 62. She filed our income taxes and never shows me anything. Even when I insist. She's never been able to save any money but she is probably hiding money that I have a right to. I need to know my rights and my legal options. If our bank accounts, mine and hers were subpoenaed I have no don't that everything she's been doing with the money she keeps will come out. Especially were $40,000 went and to whom. Can you please give me some options?

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?

Nothing. I'm at the point that I'm fed up with her sneaky behavior and hiding money at a different bank. Although she always seems to struggle with paying bills she has created on her own.

Lawyer's Assistant: Family law varies by state. What state are you in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it. I'm sure a lawyer would have their questions.

4/15/2018
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So, there is some relief that you may have here as a result. In TX, athe case of Peckham v. Johnson, 98 S.W.2d 408 (Tex. Civ. App. — Fort Worth 1936) outlined what a fiduciary (financial) relationship is between two parties. TX law has said that fiduciary duties are duties to be loyal and to disclose the financial dealings of one party to another and this extends to husbands and wives. In your case, you could sue your wife for her failure to properly keep you informed of money she is taking out for retirement, for her failure to advise you of the tax issues, or anything else related to your money.

You could file for divorce which would require her to list all of her debts and assets she has incurred and the court may require the both of you to share them upon divorce unless there is some other reason that they should not. Regardless, those are your best options there that you could employ.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

Thank you. Right now I need to sort things out. I will respond at another time.

The pleasure is all mine! Unless you have additional questions, there’s just a few other things I’d like you to know before we wrap up this conversation:

1. Could you look on your screen and provide me a star rating? 5-stars are always appreciated.

2. You can save me as a favorite if you would like.

3. For your benefit, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

4. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions for cheap.

5. Don’t forget to tell your friends about justanswer.com!

Legal Eagle, Lawyer